ECONOMY

Batibo is a transitional area that falls between 1000 and 1800m above sea level. Basically, it has two zones, partly forest, while most of it is savanna. All five villages; Nyenjei, Mbunjei, Guzang, Bessi, and Batibo that make up the urban space of Batibo fall within the savanna zone. Agriculture is the main stream economic activity of the Batibo people. It is practiced by over 85% of the population. The remainder 15% are involved in activities like administration, teaching, petty trading etc. Crops grown in this area are yams, plantains, banana, maize, cassava, potatoes, beans, groundnut, pepper, fruit trees like, monkey kola, kola nuts, bitter kola, mango, guava, plums and raffia palms and cash crops like Arabica coffee are cultivated. Gardening is extensively carried out in the Ashong area toward Pinyin. Other employment opportunities include: Petty trading, truck pushing, driving especially motor bike (Okada), weaving, quarry and sand exploitation, carpentry, hunting, brick lying, tailoring, etc. Quarry mining is one of the self-employment opportunities in the area. Prominent quarries are the Mbunjei quarry, the Guzang stone quarry and Oshum sand pit. However, potential for sand mining abound in areas in the Municipality like Enwen, Mbunjei, Ewai and Angie.

The oil palm is gradually gaining grounds on a large scale production with petit plantations in Green Valley, Tiben, Numben just to name a few.

In the banking sector, the council area has various credit unions and MFI to facilitate financial transactions.